In the past, wall panels were usually used to insulate buildings. The purpose of using wall panels was usually to protect against wind and cold. In the past, wall panels were a wood product consisting of rigid or semi-rigid parts that covered and decorated the walls. In the technologically advanced modern world, wall panels have become available in a variety of other material types. So can we use any panels for interior walls? In this article, we discuss the different types of home wall panels and their advantages and disadvantages.
This style of interior paneling is installed with wide panels and narrow panels next to each other. The larger panels can install vertically or horizontally, followed by thinner slats. After installing interior siding in this style, the house will reflect the appearance of geometrically layered siding.
When installing interior wall panels using slatted panels. You can glue the slats directly to the wall and then use decorative paint to unify the components. This will speed up the installation. Depending on the material, the cost of installing panel interior walls can range from $7 to $20 per square foot.
- Gives the room a historic, traditional look
- Double-layered batten construction makes panel interior walls stronger
- A wide range of materials can make of wood or other materials
- A wide range of applications can fasten to walls, ceilings, and siding
- Difficult to install, requires an experienced person to install
- Not suitable for personal DIY installation, may cost more money
- Requires accurate calculation of measurements
Overlap panels are very popular right now. Especially for those who follow wallcovering trends, the overlap is very familiar. Overlap panels will give homeowners a rustic, casual tone. Unlike panel interior walls, lap panels have notches cut into the top and bottom of the panel. This allows these panels to fit snugly when installed on the wall. The installation cost of lap panels has cost $5 to $6 per square foot.
- Adds interest and nostalgia to interiors
- Panels are easy to install
- Easy to stain and paint
- Highly fire resistant can use around fireplaces or in kitchens
- Needs to be treated for moisture if the environment is humid
- Easier to accumulate dust due to gaps and grooves
- If not installed correctly, the interior wall panel may warp or rot
Wood panel wall panels
Therefore, interior wood wall panels are available in a variety of materials, pine, cedar, red pine, etc. Meanwhile, interior wood wall panels are relatively inexpensive and are sold in every building store. The abundance of wood turns out to carry a relatively large selection. So you can choose the corresponding wood panels according to your budget and design needs.
Regardless of your room or decorating style, wood paneling for interior walls will fit in nicely. Traditional wood siding can install for between $5 and $15 per square foot.
- Large selection of materials
- Available in a variety of finishes and colors
- Gives you vertical/horizontal installation options
- Solid wood panels are expensive
- Tempered hardboard can be difficult to install
- The thinner the board, the more likely it is to warp
- Requires regular maintenance or it will fade and become moldy
Beadboard panels can give homeowners a look full of charm and character. To prevent beadboard panels from popping out when exposed to moisture, beadboard materials are now made from medium-density fiberboard (MDF). This is a synthetic material, made from a mixture of wood and resin. The price of installing beadboard panels varies due to the quality of the material. Its average cost ranges from $7 to $40 per square foot.
- The unique and beautiful appearance
- Available in a variety of widths
- Install vertically or horizontally to get the look you want
- MDF can get scratched and requires padding and sanding
- Cost of good materials is higher- Requires professional installation
Tongue and Groove Panels
Tongue and groove panels are similar to lap panels. However, unlike lap panels, tongue and groove panels have a difference in each profile or edge. Tongue and groove panels have a small protrusion protruding from the center of one edge and a corresponding small indentation on the other. During installation, the tongue of one board is embedded in the notch of its adjacent board. These interior wall paneling, usually made of wood, fiber cement, and vinyl, are less expensive. They can install for between $1 and $5 per square foot.
- Tongue and groove panels are relatively easy to install
- Consistently sized boards with precise dimensions
- Joints on both sides of the panel create a tighter fit
- Installation requires more precise nailing techniques
- Finished panels may be sealed with a toxic VOC coating
PVC Wall Panels
PVC panels are cost-effective interior wall panels. It is an excellent alternative to wallpaper, paint, and other wall coverings. It is also water and mildew-resistant. PVC wall panels are one of the cheap interior wall paneling. For instance, the cost of installing PVC wall panels ranges from $4 to $7 per square foot.
- Extremely durable, long-lasting, and low maintenance
- Available in glossy and matte finishes
- One of the least expensive types of paneling on the market
- An excellent alternative to wood, brick, and other materials
- Is brittle and breaks easily
- Can withstand damage from knocks and is not scratch resistant
- Poor thermal stability, discoloration over time due to heating
WPC interior wall panel
WPC is also known as a wood-plastic composite material. In other words, t is a new type of composite material that has been booming in the world in recent years. WPC materials are made from a mixture of recyclable plastics, wood fibers, additives, etc. It is then processed through a plastic process to produce a wood-plastic composite material. It then undergoes a plastic processing process to produce different colors and types of WPC products.
Above all, the diversity of WPC wall panel types and colors brings more convenience to different types of interior design. Whether it is a composite style or a modern and popular design. You can achieve it all with composite wall panels. Although WPC wall panels are more costly to install, they can bring more convenience to homeowners. the installation cost of WPC wall panels ranges from $5 to $11 per square foot.
- Available in a variety of colors, shapes, patterns, and textures
- Long life span with little to no maintenance
- Easy to install, even if you don’t have installation experience you can do it yourself
- No harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde
- Waterproof, mold-resistant, and easy to clean
- Green and environmentally friendly, conducive to sustainable development
- The initial cost is relatively high
- Can not use paint to change the color
Due to the way PVC wall panels and WPC wall panels are produced. And one can also make tongue and groove panels or slats out of composite materials. Not only that, but you can also have it custom-made by a composite manufacturer. Depending on your interior wall paneling design ideas, you can customize the wall panels and colors you need. In addition to WPC interior wall panels, we also have interior ceilings, timber tubes, and other interior decorations. And we can also provide you with free samples so that you can have a better understanding of our products.